Saturday, March 30, 2013

Dragon Fruits for Easter

Bea got to do her first Easter egg hunt yesterday! It was bitterly cold yesterday and the egg hunt was outside so Bea pretty much sat around in her snow suit. I had a cold and also had to teach a Pysanky egg dying class so Ian got to fly solo on this one. I'm sure next year is gonna be much more interesting.
They had this crazy awesome sale on dragon fruits at the commissary. And since I have a passion for strange produce I bought one.
They are fabulous. I highly recommend them. Not to mention this is the first time I've bought fruit at the commissary that I'm completely satisfied with. Apparently, they are loaded in fiber, vitamin C and they help prevent respiratory ailments like asthma. The taste is somewhere between a kiwi and a pear with a little nuttiness thrown in from the seeds.
 Isn't that pretty! Sometimes the flesh on the inside is white and sometimes it's red. But the color doesn't have any baring on taste. They are from Southeast Asian (think Vietnam, Thailand) but they are also grown in the Florida, South America, and a host of other places. To eat them all you do is scoop out the flesh on the inside. The pink rind is inedible.
Baby tested, Bea approved. She kept honking at me till I gave her more and she ended up eating half of it. The only downside was picking all the little black seeds off her afterwards.

Today is the last day of Mustache March and to celebrate the shaving of that ridiculous pedophile stache, we have a father daughter mustache montage.

1 comment:

  1. Oh how I miss those chubby cheeks...both Bea's and Ian's! And I miss you baby girl!

    ReplyDelete