Wednesday, July 28, 2010


My first official night as a card girl for Cheyenne Frontier Days Old Fashioned Melodrama was Monday night. My picture was in the paper Monday but I didn't see it till this morning. I had two shows that night, one at 7 and one at 9. I got to the theater at 5:30 and didn't get home till 11:30. That's a long day, after working and wearing high heels! It was so much fun though.

Being a card girl is an interesting job. It's all improve (which I've never done before) and when your on stage it's important that they entire audiences attention is focused on you and not the MC. It's always the best bet to be silly and ditzy but I'm better at being a horrible flirt. Every card girl has her own little bit that fits her personality and you have to roll with your MC and keep the show going. Plus the card girl is out there after every act and olio - which means you have to come up with a lot of sketches. It's challenging.  My friend J - who got me to audition - is a melodrama fiend, she's been doing it for 10 years! And this year she's a card girl and stage manager! My hats off to her, she runs around like a chicken without a head most nights.

My act has to do with a mole that I painted on my cheek with eyeliner. As the act goes on the mole moves around my face until the MC notices. Then there is a bit where I come out on stage with a saw and tell the audience that I found a book for at home plastic surgery. After that the moles start to multiply. Our last appearance the mole disappears from my face and shows up on the MCs face! which always gets a huge amount of laughter from the audience. 

Cheyenne has gotten so crazy with all the CFD stuff going on. There is never any parking and traffic is horrible. I'm still moving across town. It's always a battle to get home at night. But that's the way it goes. The boy and I got up early this morning and went to the pancake breakfast. It's this huge out door practice drill for an emergency feeding of 30,000 people by Kiwanis at the Depot. The line was huge, it was as long as two city blocks and it wrapped around five times. But now I think that I'll take a nap after lunch and then go back to clean my old apartment.

No comments:

Post a Comment