Friday, February 19, 2010

Mardi Gras

It's taken me a really long time to get anything made or posted lately. I've been working on a Mardi Gras Costume for my friend. We couldn't decide on what to really turn her into so she became a bunny mermaid a la Tim Burton with some tech accents. I really think it turned out great and I'm hoping that she had a great time.



She's so cute! She absolutely loved the clear vinyl cone bra that I made for her. I stuffed it with bubble wrap and little fish that I painted like skeletons. It laced up in the back - do I see vinyl lingerie in my future?

The top of her is a bunny with really mangled fur and a little cap with ears. I made little fur fins on her shoulders and used Velcro then to make them stay on.




We wanted the bunny part of her to look really mangled with stitches and blood - felt and crochet string and a black mesh bag.

The skirt was hooked to her top with hook and eyes to be an umpire waist. I sewed it out of scales made of two types of fabric, keyboard innards, and vinyl.



I had a lot of fun working on this costume - it really broke me out of my mold and made me think about how things wear and how to incorporate non traditional materials into clothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment